Monday, November 23, 2009

There and Back Again

"In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will"

Ephesians 1:11


I want to thank everyone for taking the time to read this important announcement. I know to some this may indeed anger and yet in other encourage. Whatever the outcome I ask that you think on it and remember that despite our desire to be in control and confident in our beliefs that we lose sight of a very precious gift. The faith of our fathers not earned or experienced but indeed given by the grace of God.

This to some has and will come to shock that a person as passionate and dedicated to being Eastern Orthodox can no longer be one. Not because I am afraid or not desiring it. In fact it is simply because I realize I can no longer go on pretending that true faith and forgiveness comes not from our actions or desire to act. Rather out of the mercy and grace of God. By his love given to us and perfected in his son Jesus Christ. I feel that no matter the many things that I do in fact love about Eastern Orthodoxy I cannot however continue to simply just ignore that issue of Original Sin and our justification. While this means I will not become Orthodox it in no means excuses the many errors and issues that have deeply shaken my trust in Lutheranism. However the beauty is that despite those issues it still maintains a shred of true Apostolic Teaching. That being laid out by St. Paul himself. What this means that I am not making a choice out of vanity or out of personal reasons which was indeed why I left Lutheranism. It simply means that the Scriptures have indeed hold my mind captive to the fact that indeed not by any merits of my own am I saved.

So then what does this mean? Simply that in so many ways I cannot ignore what the Scriptures say and what I have in my heart always believed. This does not mean my stay or journey in Orthodoxy is in itself without value or that it did not foster any growth in me or that it did not show me many great things. What it means is that I cannot rely on simply a mystical experience for my salvation. What Orthodoxy has in Liturgical splendor it lacks in doctrine. Its not out hate but in truly what is focused on. It for me comes down to Christ. I would say that the Orthodox have a great view on the Trinity it however seems to supplant that role of Christ particularly that of his work on the Cross.

I know I am returning to Lutheranism it does not mean my road is not easy. I feel that many Lutherans have forgotten what is must precious the Gospel. I make this decision my no person alone, but with all in mind. I make this decision not out of one event but out of a cascade of events that have occurred. Its not like my falling out of Lutheranism. I am not really leaving Orthodoxy because indeed I never was in it. Rather I was stow away looking for a place to hide. I know my home. I know what is right according to the doctrine. Now it's time for me to come home to the faith I left. The fight that had been forfeited and this time I know what it is I believe.

For this many other reasons I have decided to return to Lutheranism.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome home. And the thing about home, is that you are always welcome there, even if you've been gone for a long time.

    This isn't exactly about your journey, but back at a time when, institutionally, Lutheranism was even worse off than it is now, the great Lutheran Father Claus Harms, in faith, said this:

    The Evangelical Catholic is a glorious Church; it holds and conforms itself chiefly to the Sacraments.

    The Evangelical Reformed is a glorious Church; it holds and conforms itself chiefly to the Word of God.

    More glorious than both is the Evangelical Lutheran Church; it holds and conforms itself both to the Sacraments and the Word of God.

    Into this Lutheran Church both the others are developing, even without the intentional aid of men. But the way of the ungodly shall perish, says David (Ps. 1:6).


    (Theses 92-95 of "Theses of Claus Harms" [1817])

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pastor Webber,


    Yes your right that it's not about the journey. I would say that the journey has shown me things I would not have known.

    ReplyDelete